Screen recording software may be a valuable tool for various reasons, whether you want to promote the features of your product, capture and respond to consumer comments, or distribute instructional videos with other team members.
Screen recording software allows you to capture all or part of your computer screen and save it as a video file. This can be an excellent tool for remote teams, as it can help with troubleshooting, training, and collaboration.
Many different screen recording software options are available, but not all of them are well suited for remote teams. In this article, we'll look at some of the best free screen recording software tools that are ideal for remote teams.
In this guide to the best free screen recording software tools for remote teams, we cover:
- When Free Screen Recording Tools Come in Handy
- Using Free Screen Recording Tools That Come With Your Device
- Free Browser-based Software For Screen Recording
- Paid tools vs. Free tools for making screen recording videos
When Free Screen Recording Tools Come in Handy
Everyday use cases for free screen recording software:
- Presentations and company updates shared with other team members
- Instructions or tutorials for new employees
- Coaching and feedback from managers and supervisors
- Marketing videos to promote the features of a product
- Capturing customer feedback
- Back and forth asynchronous discussions replacing traditional Zoom meetings and web conferences.
The benefit of using screen recording software is that it can allow you to verbally explain what you're doing while showing it on the screen simultaneously.
For more tips and best practices for making and sharing screen recordings with your remote team, check out our Guide to Screen Recording.
Using Free Screen Recording Tools That Come With Your Device
Windows 10, Mac OS, iPhone, iPad, and Android devices include free screen recording software.
The benefits of using these tools:
- You don't need to download or install any software
- Your recordings will be saved directly on your device
- They're easy, fast, and ready to use right now.
Challenges with using built-in screen recorders:
- It can be challenging to share your screen recordings with clients and team members
- It can be difficult to host your recordings where others can see them publicly.
Do you need assistance recording your screen on a popular platform? If yes, refer to the relevant guide for your preferred platform:
- Screen Recording on Mac OS
- Screen Recording on Windows 10
- Screen Recording on iPhone
- Screen Recording on iPad
- Screen Recording on Android
Free Browser-based Software For Screen Recording
The most significant advantage of utilizing browser-based screen recording software is that anybody may use them, regardless of their operating system or device.
They're also convenient for sharing a link with someone so that they may view your recording.
ZipMessage has a free plan, enabling you to record your screen and share the link with someone else. Plus, it makes it easy for the other person to record their response no matter which platform they’re on.
Paid tools vs. Free tools for making screen recording videos
Which software is the best for your team? Well, this all depends on planned usage and your company's specific needs when interacting with teammates and clients.
Free tools usually have a few more limitations than paid options, but they may be the perfect choice for occasional recording sessions.
Another factor to consider is how much time and effort you want to learn a new tool.
Free screen recording tools often come with limitations:
- Free cloud-based and browser-based tools typically limit recording duration, file storage, and sharing.
- Basic or no video editing features.
- Some built-in desktop tools have no option for audio recording and narration.
- No ability to get automatically generated transcripts.
Your remote team might consider upgrading to a more robust paid tool if:
- Your remote team communicates asynchronously often
- You routinely share recordings with clients and request their response
- You want to create longer videos more often, such as for documenting SOPS
- You need something that is user-friendly and has powerful features like automatic transcriptions of your voice recording.
ZipMessage has a free plan, enabling you to record your screen and share the link with someone else. Plus, it makes it easy for the other person to record their response no matter which platform they’re on. Give it a go today.
We've now discussed the benefits and challenges of using different screen recording software tools.
Free screen recording software tools are included with most popular devices and operating systems, but they have limitations. Browser-based screen recording software is convenient for sharing links, and it's available to anyone regardless of their device or operating system.
Paid tools often have more features and can better fit teams that need more robust recording and editing capabilities. Whichever tool you choose, make sure to test it out to see if it's going to meet your specific requirements.
Do you find yourself needing to share screen recordings with your colleagues or customers? And need a way for them to send their screen, camera, or mic responses back to you? Try out ZipMessage for free.