You get some great multimedia capabilities out of the box with iOS on the iPad, and screen recording is one of them.
There are also more advanced screen-recording tools for iOS available from third-party developers.
Looking for ways to make your screen recordings actually useful for others? Tap over to our seven tips to make your screen recording easy to follow.
You’ll find our iPad screen recording guide below. But if you’re looking to record your screen on other platforms, we’ve got guides for those too:
- Screen Recording on Windows
- Screen Recording on Mac
- Screen Recording on iPhone
- Screen Recording on Android
- Free screen recording software
- In-depth guide to recording your screen
Which screen recording software works on iPad?
There are two different ways to record your screen in iPad:
Using built-in desktop software.
Your iPad comes with a built-in tool called Screen Recording which can be used to record your screen. Instructions on how to use the Screen Recording app are listed below.
Using third-party browser-based screen recording software.
These tools don’t require anything to download or install, can be conveniently viewed on any device, and it's easy to share recordings with team members and clients. ZipMessage is built specifically for this.
How to record your screen on iPad
You can create a screen recording and capture sound on your iPad.
- Go to Settings > Control Center. If screen recording is enabled you’ll see “Screen Recording” under “Include”. If not, you can find it under “More controls”
- Tap the “+” icon next to “Screen Recording”. Screen Recording will now appear under “Include” to indicate that the app is enabled in your Control Centre.
- Swipe down from the top-right corner of the screen to open the Control Center, tap the screen record icon, then wait for the three-second countdown.
- Once the recording starts, go to the screen or application that you want to record and perform your actions.
- To stop recording, open Control Center again, tap the screen record icon or the red status bar at the top of the screen, then tap Stop.
- To view your recording go to Photos, then select your screen recording. (You can also click on the popup message to open your Photos folder)
- Click play to watch the recording.
The icon will go red to indicate that your screen is being recorded.
Note: if you want the sound to be recorded as well then you’ll need to check your sound settings before you hit record to ensure that you can hear the sound from whichever app you want to record.
You’ll see a message pop up to say “Screen Recording video saved to Photos”
How to share your iPad screen recordings with others
When you stop the screen recording app, the new video file will be saved to your Photos library.
You can upload the movie from your iOS library when creating a message in a tool like ZipMessage, which makes it easy to share with someone and start a back-and-forth conversation.
(Alternatively, you can simplify the whole process by using ZipMessage to record your screen and then share the link to view your recording.)
How to ask your clients on iPad to record their screen
Do you want a client to react to your screen recording or offer comments on it? Why not ask your customer for a screen recording?
In order to do so, send them a message asking them to follow the aforementioned procedures, and then figure out how to provide you with their recording.
Alternatively, you may utilize ZipMessage and simply provide them a URL where they can video their screen using their web browser. This way is considerably quicker for them.